There are many popular myths and misconceptions about breast augmentation. Before undergoing any cosmetic surgery, it is important to separate fact from myth to make sure you’re getting results you can enjoy for years to come. If you are considering a breast augmentation in Bakersfield, take a moment to learn the common misconceptions about breast augmentation.
Misconception #1: Breast augmentation is the same as a breast lift
Breast augmentation, also known as breast implants or enhancements, is a procedure in which a woman’s breast size or shape is altered. This is usually done to increase the cup size by placing saline or silicone implants into the breasts.
Woman may decide to have a breast augmentation procedure for many reasons including:
• A woman’s breasts may be different sizes
• A woman’s breasts can get smaller with age or after having children
• A woman’s breasts are not proportional to the rest of her body
• A woman’s breasts may sag
• A woman may feel that she can’t find clothes that fit right over the breasts
Conversely, a breast lift is a procedure in which the breasts are moved to a higher position on the chest for a new contour. The nipple and breast tissue are equally moved to the level of the breast fold. The excess skin below the nipple is tightened and shaped to a rounder, more natural shape.
In many cases, a breast lift is done at the same time as a breast augmentation. Common reasons women decide to have a breast lift are:
• The breasts may sag due to age
• The breasts may sag after having children
• The breasts may shift positions on the chest because of weight gain or loss
Misconception #2: Breast augmentation is dangerous during breastfeeding
It is a common concern among women who undergo breast augmentation to feel uneasy about the potential risks of breastfeeding. There is no inherent risk in breast augmentation that would cause risks or complications to future pregnancies. The procedure involves technical and specialized incision and dissection in the breast tissue, which minimizes risk to nipple sensation and breastfeeding. These techniques include:
• Using an inframammary incision (in the breast fold under the breast) or an axillary incision (in the armpit) rather than a periareolar incision (around the nipple)
• Placing the implant under the muscle (sub-pectoral) rather than under the breast (sub-glandular)
• Choosing a smaller implant to avoid wide dissection and limit potential disruption of nerves supplying nipple sensation
Misconception #3: Any cosmetic surgeons can perform breast augmentations
Breast augmentation surgery is highly specialized and technical operation. Cosmetic surgeons are not the same as plastic surgeons. Breast augmentations are only performed by board certified plastic surgeons who have completed years of rigorous training and passed written an oral examination in order to become certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS).
Breast augmentation is a comprehensive process that involves:
• A detailed pre-operative assessment of each patient’s anatomy, including breast size and shape; breast symmetry or asymmetry; characteristics of breast tissue, nipple-areola and skin; and degree of breast sag
• Discussion and understanding of each patient’s goals and desires for their post-operative results and analysis of limitations of possible outcomes
• Knowledge of all different types of breast implants to best advise patient on implant selection: silicone gel, cohesive silicone gel “gummy bear”, round and anatomical “tear drop” shaped implants
• Experience with a number of different surgical techniques to produce desired results
• Close follow up and attentive management of patients after the operation to address recovery progress and any issues that may arise
Breast Augmentation in Bakersfield
The choice to have a breast augmentation is a personal one. A thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon regards to the pros and cons between the various choices of breast implants and augmentation can aid in the decision-making process. Schedule a consultation with Bella Health & Beauty today, and join our many satisfied patients.