There are three types of nose reshaping techniques, also known as Rhinoplasty available at Bella Health and Beauty. In an Open Rhinoplasty, the incisions are made in the vertical strip of skin separating your nostrils. Closed Rhinoplasty is when the incision is made within the nose. The skin is then split from the bone and cartilage. Finally, there is Filler Rhinoplasty, in which injectable fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are used to fill depressions, restore symmetry or correct other imperfections on your nose.
Before committing to any of these procedures, you should ask your doctor all the questions you have on your mind to determine if the treatment is really one you want to pursue. You can also use this question and answer time to educate yourself about the ins and outs of the process and healing time, so that you can actively take part in your own healing. For more information about varying types of plastic surgery in Bakersfield, contact Bella Health and Beauty today!
Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before a Rhinoplasty
1. Am I a viable candidate for nose reshaping/rhinoplasty?
2. If so, which procedure do you recommend for my nose?
3. How many times have you performed this procedure?
4. How often do you do this procedure?
5. Where were you educated, trained, licensed, and board certified?
6. What year did you start practicing?
7. How much of your practice is devoted to rhinoplasty?
8. Of your patients, what percentage would you say were happy with the results?
9. Can you show me any patient reviews?
10. What is your policy on revisions?
11. How often do you have to do revisions? What percentage of patients requires revisions or future surgeries?
12. What types of anesthesia are used?
13. What are the risks are involved with the anesthetics that you use?
14. What are the risks are involved with the surgery?
15. Where is the surgery performed? In a hospital or private clinic?
16. If in a clinic, what emergency protocols are in place in case of complications?
17. What results can I expect? In what timeframe?
18. What is the expected healing time?
19. What post-operative information do I need to know in terms of work, exercise, and personal care?
20. Can I bring you a photo of a nose I like and expect similar results?
21. Can you explain the difference between open and closed rhinoplasty in more detail?
22. Must I follow a special diet pre-operatively and/or post-operatively?
23. I take (diet pills, birth control, antidepressants, etc.). Are any of these contraindicated with the anesthesia or prescribed medications?
24. I wear eyeglasses. How soon can I wear them normally after the procedure? Will they affect the shape of my new nose as it heals? And can I wear them on top of the cast?
25. Are there any hidden charges, such as those for lab work, additional medications, or post-operative check-ups?
What to Look for in Your Doctor’s Responses
You want a plastic surgeon who has performed this procedure routinely, and can show you many satisfied customers. Reading reviews of your surgeon’s work can be especially important. Also, choose a surgeon who has not needed to perform many revisions to his work. This shows you that he can get it right the first time.
Technology and methodology are constantly changing in the surgical arena. Choose a surgeon who uses the most current methods and tools available. Your surgeon should be committed to continuous learning about their specialty so that you get the best treatment.
Make sure your surgeon is well-rounded and skilled in the area of rhinoplasty that is important to you. This could mean ethnic rhinoplasty, traditional rhinoplasty, or revision rhinoplasty. Each requires a specific set of skills to obtain a natural looking result. For instance, an Asian nose is different from an African-American nose in structure. Your surgeon should be skilled in the area that you need him to be.
4. Board Certification
To become Board Certified, a surgeon must meet a stringent set of training and examination qualifications. It is a long and involved process which is not required for a doctor to practice (meaning it is completely up to the doctor if they want to pursue certification or not.) That said, board-certification signifies a dedication to lifelong learning and patient care, which makes board certified surgeons the best in their field.
Plastic Surgery in Bakersfield
If you are unhappy with anything about the look of your nose, or are experiencing breathing problems because of irregularities inside your nose, consider having a consultation for plastic surgery in Bakersfield such as a rhinoplasty at Bella Health and Beauty. We can bring your nose into balance with the other features of the face and/or restore a natural, healthy breathing pattern.